Stuck it to the Man!

ddreifuss's picture

At 4:45am on Monday I hit a low hook (I think) into dense fog and questionable sunlight on the 5th tee at Flossmoor Country Club to begin my Hundred Hole Hike. Almost 14 hours later, at 6:23pm, I made a 3-foot par save on the 4th green, my 108th of the day. During that time, I played the most fun, exhausting, inspiring, miserable, and rewarding holes of golf in my life. I hit chunks, skulls, shanks, missed 2-footers, made 50-footers, hit 2 balls out of bounds, made 5 birdies, a 9, and had a 4-putt. I did everything you can do, except, of course, make an eagle. But more importantly, I raised $7,355.04 for DMSF, an organization I greatly respect which supports a cause I deeply believe in.

I may be biased as a former caddie, but the best and most important part of the day were my caddies. Kassie, an Evans Scholar who is headed to Michigan next fall (boo Michigan!!!) was excellent. She carried my bag for 23 holes and could not have been better. She has caddied at FCC for the past 7 years so she knew the lay of the land and helped me navigate the course. She cringed during every lip out and screamed with me when I made my first birdie, a downhill 20-footer on the beautiful 16th hole, my 30th of the day. We spent about 2.5 hours together and walking up the 9th fairway, our final hole together, I got her to admit that her first choice for college was originally Wisconsin!

Erika carried my bag for the final 67 holes! She wins the award for “best hiker in a supporting role.” There is absolutely no way I could have completed the hike without having her carry my bag through the completion of my 6th round. It was special having Erika caddie for me because she is a DMSF alum and also currently an Evans Scholar at the University of Illinois. She also didn’t get the memo that I was a Wisconsin Badger as she showed up wearing Illini gear. It was incredible spending 9+ hours with Erika while I raised money for DMSF. She shared her experience with the organization, her years caddying, her college life, her summer job, and her goals for life after college (she wants to be a doctor). Erika was a work horse and I could not thank her enough.

During the middle of the 5th round, my blisters began to kick in and my right calf and hamstring were shot. I kept telling myself that if Tiger Woods could win the 2008 US OPEN with a torn ACL, I could hack around the course for the final 27 holes on a pulled hammy and quarter-sized blisters. I knew I had plenty of daylight left and it was never a question of if I would finish. However, I played at a much slower pace because of my trouble walking and actually began to use my 6-iron as a cane.

Walking down the 4th fairway which was my 108th and final hole of the day, I asked Erika if she would call someone from the clubhouse to pick us up as I had exhausted all my energy for the day. She yelled from across the fairway, “no one is picking up the phone.” I screamed back in disbelief, “COME ON!” She paused, smiled, and shouted “Ha! I’m just messing with you. They’re on their way.”

The ride back to the clubhouse was one of the best feelings I’ve ever felt. It was my “walk up 18" with a 3-shot lead Sunday at Augusta. I set a goal and accomplished it. I raised a lot of money for a worthwhile cause. I silenced the doubters who told me there wasn’t enough sunlight to walk 108 holes in a day. Bottom line: I stuck it to the man!

Thank you to all the people who donated to my hike. I appreciate the support and know it will go to a great cause. A lot of people have asked me if I am going to do this again. While I reserve the right to change my mind in the future, as of now, I am saying that I will not. With that said, if anyone wants to tackle this challenge next year, I am happy to dust of my caddie bib or get my checkbook out.


This Golfer's Participation


Great Post!!

cincycheesehead's picture

From one cheesehead to another, well done!!! Way to go!!!!